I am proud to announce that Exceptionally-Ordinary has been nominated for the Liebster Award!
This post may contain affiliate links. That means that, if you click on certain links, and make a purchase, I will get a small commission, at no added cost to you. For more information, go to my Full Disclosure Policy page.
To say that I am equally honored, AND excited about this nomination would be an understatement! It was honestly a big surprise to be considered for the Liebster Award. And I want to thank the awesome Jennifer at No Perfect Parents Allowed for noticing my infant blog, in a web full of so many deserving ones. Thanks again, Jen!
Jen blogs at No Perfect Parents Allowed, where she shares amazing, and helpful organization tips, printables, and much more. I am in love with her blog!
Jen started to blog, as a way to help other moms, who, like her, were struggling to keep their busy and hectic lives properly organized. She is an author, a blogger, and a full time mommy to two gorgeous, and healthy children, who are, and I quote, “the light of my life”.
In case you do not know…
The Liebster Award, according to The Global Aussie, “is an award that exists only on the internet, and is given to bloggers by other bloggers. The earliest case of the award goes as far back as 2011. Liebster in German means sweetest, kindest, nicest, dearest, beloved, lovely, kind, pleasant, valued, cute, endearing, and welcome.” If you want to find out more, go to The Global Aussie website.
Being nominated for the Liebster Award means a lot to me. I am truly honored!
My favorite blog
I currently follow many blogs. Being a new blogger myself, and working alone at home all the time, it is necessary to feel that connection with others, especially those who are or have been in my shoes.
While there are many blogs that I love, and get email updates for on a daily basis, there is this one blog that I have now followed for many, many years. Living Well Spending Less by Ruth Soukup is where I first found a guide to learn how to coupon to save money It also opened up my eyes to the idea of starting a blog myself.
Up until I found Living Well Spending Less, I never pictured a site to be more than that, a website. I wasn’t particularly interested in the behind the scenes workings of any site, and to be honest, I never thought of who actually ran those websites. Honestly, I never imagined that moms, dads, or anyone really, could be fully responsible for some of the content I enjoyed. For me, they were basically “content mills”, or online magazines, or publications.
Oh, what a wonderful world I discovered, full of possibilities! Suddenly, the chance to write, share things, help others, and connect, seemed more than a possibility, a reality. And following her blog has also shown me that it is indeed possible to make an income from home, if you’re willing to do the work!
10 Random Facts About Me:
Liebster Award nominees are required to share 10 random things about themselves, as a way to get their readers to know them better. I have included some things that are already on my Meet Jess page, but I have also included a few bits of “Jess trivia” for your entertainment 😉
- My family means the world to me. OK, this is not exactly random. It is actually my biggest truth.
- I am a HUGE Potterhead! Down right obsessed with the Harry Potter story line, the beauty of the message, and have read the whole series (including all the extras, AND the Fantastic Beasts screenplay) multiple times.
- As much as I use it for my every day work, I despise many aspects of modern technology. Especially, how it seems to be widely accepted that it is OK to pay more attention to phones, tablets, etc. than to those around us.
- I always wash my hands with cold water. And my feet as well, which means my husband gets a pair of ice cubes stuck to his calves every night 😉
- I have made it my mission to drive as little as possible. Hate driving UGH! So much, that I can go days without leaving my home (I love my home!), and do not feel bothered by it.
- My family and I currently live over 3,000 away from my country, Puerto Rico. I miss it so much, it hurts.
- I used to be a dancer. I danced ballet, modern dance, jazz, hip hop, and flamenco. I even know how to play the castanets!
- In the last few years, since moving to the United States, my circle of close, trusted, real life friends has hardly grown. This is mostly because I am shy at first, which makes it harder to make friends, but also because I prefer it that way.My closest friends have been so for around 30 yrs (some more, some a bit less), and I consider them my family. My heart is already full of love for my existing friends <3
- I love classical music. But when I want to feel inspired, and relaxed I love listening to movie or musical soundtracks. Think Harry Potter, Fantastic Beasts, and Where to Find Them, High School Musical, CATS, etc.
- I’m a multi-passion person, which means I can be working on multiple projects I am passionate about simultaneously.That includes, blogging/writing, sewing, photography, creating cute images and printables, and more! And I’d love to become an author (hopefully soon).
And now, my nominees for the Liebster Award…
Part of the Liebster Award nomination requires nominees to in turn, nominate others. This is a way to “pass it on”, or “pay it forward” to other new bloggers.
- Annie Cole at Coles Cross
- Brynn Burger at The Mama on the Rocks
- Jamie Ruffin at Living Life as a Wife
- Anna Panza at Panza Avenue
- Kate Ditto at Sparkle and Sage
Ladies, if you decide to accept the nomination, here is what you have to do next:
- Write about the Liebster Award. Include the answers to the questions included in this post. Check The Global Aussie Official Rules Page, and follow the instructions posted there.
- Nominate 5-11 other bloggers who you think deserve to receive this award.
- Notify your nominees.
Questions for my nominees:
- If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you live and why?
- What do you like the least about your life?
- How does your “dream” of blogging compare to the “reality” of it?
- What do you enjoy the most about your business?
- What would you say is the biggest challenge you have faced as a small business owner, and blogger?
- Harry Potter, or Twilight?
- If you could change one thing about your past, what would it be? (Be completely honest)
- Which is your favorite book, and why? *Hint: Does not have to be business related!
- What is your best childhood memory, and why?
- What is your utmost guilty pleasure? (Mine are books, and crafts 😀 )
- Who let the dogs out?
My answers to the 10 questions from Jennifer:
1. Who is your biggest inspiration in your life?
My mom, my husband and my children. Combined, they are my past, my present, and my future. The sum of many parts of who I am now. I have learned, and continue to do so from each and every one of them. Although being a daughter, a wife, and a mother is only part of me, it has great influence on who I am as a woman, person, human being.
2. What is your earliest childhood memory, and has it influenced the person you are today?
Funny thing. I have a picture of me walking down the sidewalk in front of my house, and my great Aunt walking right behind me. My mom took the picture from our garage. I was an early walker (nine months), so I was pretty tiny at the time, probably just under 1 yr old. Anyway, I vividly remember that, at that precise moment, my great aunt was asking me “Where do you think you’re going?”. I even remember hearing, more than seeing a smile in her voice.
I am not sure if it has influenced me. It’s such a small memory! But one thing is clear to me: that picture, and that memory represent much more than it seems. In the picture I see myself thru my mom’s eyes. It’s not posed, or planned. The memory means even more. It tells me how aware I have always been of my family, even my extended one. Even as a small child, there was awareness of the importance of their presence in my life.
3. PC or Mac?
PC for sure. I have never understood the undying love for Apple some people have. Have never owned an iPhone, iPod, iPad, Mac, or any other Apple products. And chances are, I never will. Moreover, I cringe at the willingness of many to overspend just to get the latest Apple technology. However, I can understand how it can draw the attention of creatives, designers, and the like.
4. What drew you to blogging?
I have always loved to write, and have had secret dreams of becoming an author for ages. However, as I’ve said before, when I discovered blogging it was love at first sight. In blogging I found an outlet, a way to connect, help, and reach many, which I didn’t even think was possibility.
5. What type of blogs are your favorite to follow?
I follow many different ones. As I mentioned before, I am a “multi-passion” being, so I follow all sorts. They range from lifestyle, Mommy blogs, organization, business/blogging related, to DIY, home decor, personal finances, and more!
6. Do you follow a blogging schedule, or do you just fit it in when you can?
Neither nor. I have been struggling to create a blogging schedule to facilitate my work load. So far, I haven’t made much progress, mostly because I feel overwhelmed by it. However, that does not mean I fit it in whenever I can. No no no. I work all the time, pretty much every week day; just not very organized 😉
7. What is the most effective way you have found to grow your audience?
Well, my audience is teeny tiny right now. However, I have found that when I pin to Pinterest boards regularly (mine, or group boards I belong to), and use the promo threads on the many Facebook groups I belong to, I get quite a bit more traffic.
8. If you could take a dream vacation to anywhere in the world, where would you go and who would you want to take with you?
Hmmm, this is a difficult one. I’d like to say that I’d visit my country, but as it is today, my people are in a very bad spot. Traveling there right now would make me part of the problem, instead of helping them.
OK. I think I’d love to travel thru Europe. I’d love to visit France, England, Italy, Germany, Finland, Sweden, Switzerland, and then head to Australia. And why not? I’d then make a mad dash to the Caribbean to visit Puerto Rico (my country), Dominican Republic, Jamaica, and Cuba.
And you know what? I’d definitely take my husband, and children. We love spending time together. Even when we drive each other crazy 😉
9. When are you most productive?
At night for sure. While I take full advantage of the fact that I am alone with my cats all day, I work much better at night. There are less distractions, it’s quieter, and I don’t like sleeping much, so why not work? 😉
10. Do you follow a routine, or are you a “fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants” kind of girl?
I like to say I am a fair combination of both. There are somethings that I am particular about. For example, I follow a tight routine in the mornings. I get up, use the bathroom, brush my teeth, and shower. Then as soon as that’s done, I make my bed. No matter what day of the week it is, my bed is made every morning. The only slight variation is the shower. On the weekends, I might postpone my shower until after I make my bed.
Also, I plan my trips to the last detail. This helps me save time and money, because it prevents unnecessary trips, and wasting gas.
On the other hand, I tend to follow my mood a lot. That means I might “fly-it-by-the-seat-of-my-pants” quite a bit as well. This might not be the best way to work, and I know I need to work on that so I can make better use of my time. I am hoping to get my work tasks properly organized and start 2018 being much more intentional.
There you go! I am truly happy and honored to have been recognized with a Liebster Award! I am most thankful to Jen for the nomination. And of course, to Jack Henry of The Global Aussie, for bringing this amazing opportunity to new bloggers to be recognized by fellow bloggers. I am truly grateful for the nomination.
Exceptionally-Ordinary has been nominated for a 2017 Liebster Award!